Re: Cisco MIBs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco MIBs
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:01:54 -0400
Scott -
You are asking me for expertise I do not have.
I wouldn't know any of these Cisco devices if someone gave them to me (and
no one has).   How they work, what they support, or how to configure them,
is not in my area of expertise.  Cisco will have to tell you what MIBs and
traps these devices will support.  No one in NetView service nor
development knows that.
What we know about is just how our mibloaders work.  That I can give you
advice on.

What  I can tell you about Cisco MIBs and traps is this.  We added a bunch
of Cisco traps to 6.0./6.0.21 which you can merge into trapd.conf with
nvaddtrapdconf on the one shipped in /usr/OV/newconfig/SNMP-RUN as the
Release Notes explain.   As for MIBs, all the MIBs shipped in
/usr/OV/snmp-mibs which do not specifically say they are V2 should load
just fine into either the SNMP V1 MIB loader (xnmloadmib) so you can use
them easily with snmpCollect.  And if you find you must load SNMPV2 MIBs to
support your Cisco device, then I would load our versions of any Cisco MIBs
in place of any with the same name or content that you pull off the Cisco
web site.  The ones we shipped have already been checked for syntax errors
and problems.  This is essentially the same advice I gave you in my last
append on this subject.   Start with our cisco-tc-smi.mib and snmpv2-tc-v1
rather than Cisco's cisco-tc-v1smi.my and snmpv2-tc-v2smi.my when you build
your SNMPV2 MIB library.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT