Re: Object that has multiple community names on the same IP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Object that has multiple community names on the same IP
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:28:25 -0400
James Shanks wrote:

> I'm afraid not.  One community string per box is all you get.
>
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support
> Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
> Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com
>
> dil@acn.gr (Leventidis Dimitris)@tkg.com on 09/10/2001 05:27:30 AM
>
> Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
>
> Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com
>
> To:   nv-l@tkg.com
> cc:
> Subject:  [NV-L] Object that has multiple community names on the same IP
>
> Hello,
>
> i'have a problem with a netview 6.01 on an AIX 4.3.3 system. I have a
> device on my network that has only 1 IP Address, but reports different
> things every time you specify another community name. With the default
> community e.g. public i'm getting the ethernet statistics. If i use e.g.
> public@s1 i'm getting different things which are related with the first
> slot's connected devices (e.g. some wan interfaces).
>
> How can i modify this object and assign to it 2 (or more) community
> names?
> I've seen Sunnet Manager to do this and i was impressed....can Netview
> do this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dimitris Leventidis

If you don't know already, this is called Community string Indexing and is
used to access MIBS that have multiple instances for a single MIB value.
Some switch  vendors use this to get stats for all the bridge interfaces on
a switch by just adding the @ sign followed by the port or VLAN number to
the single community name assigned to the entire device.  IE..     public@25
would read the bridge mib for VLAN25 or it could be a single port on a board
IE..  public@3/1      for board 3 port 1.    If the device does not have
multiple instances of a MIB,  adding the @ does nothing and it will still
access the single instance of that MIB.    Also note that a trap sent from a
multiple instance MIB should have the source attached as the instance with
the @ sign.

This is a very powerful feature to use if your device supports it.

So with a little scripting you could do what ever you want.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Systems & Networking