RE: DNS and Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: DNS and Netview
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:31:12 -0500
Sorry I gave you the statements and forgot the thoery

One problem in SNMP management has been how do you deliver events / data
when the interface your traffic originates from is down. In our case, this
interface being specified as the loopback interface allows network routing
protocols to send traps via whatever path is available since the "loopback"
interface NEVER goes down.

The downside is you must have routing in your network to support this
address range. As you see from my example, we mask it down to a single
address space and all routers are configured to support this subnet for
routing purposes.