Re: DNS and Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: DNS and Netview
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:36:27 +0100
Ken,
Please see inserted comments...

Ken Viola wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please help us with our DNS issue. We are implementing Netview on AIX (as our
> master Netview) with AMLM's running on NT distributed around the country. The
> AMLM's will offload polling from the AIX Netview and forward status updates
> and
> traps to the master Netview. The Netview is using /etc/hosts currently as we
> are
> in the process of updating DNS to reflect all of our network devices.

I would very strongly recommend getting to an organisation wide DNS under your
NetView.  /etc/hosts CANNOT resolve multiple IP addresses to 1 name (for your
routers) - only DNS (or NIS) can do that.

> Netview
> will only be used to manage network devices. It is intended that the Netview
> (AIX) server will act as a secondary caching nameserver only and will not be
> sourced by any other systems.

NetView is a huge user of DNS so I would always put a DNS server on my NetView
system.  It improves performance and reliability.

> The issue is whether or not the DNS needs to be
> updated with reverse records for each interface on all of our network devices
> for Netview to function optimally. If the device is able to handle a loopback
> address (ie Cisco routers), our thought is that only the loopback needs to be
> addressed for forward and reverse DNS records.

I would strongly recommend having ALL interfaces in the reverse DNS lookup.
NetView
finds addresses first, not names.  The first thing he does having found an IP
address "clue" for his discovery algorithm, is to do a DNS reverse lookup to
try and
find a name for it.

Use loopbacks on your routers where possible.  I would then put just the
loopback
into your DNS forward lookup (so when you do "ping box1" or whatever, the DNS
always
resolves to something that is contactable if the box is contactable at all).  I
would also use the loopback name in the NetView netmon seedfile if you want to
ensure these devices are found quickly.  You still need all the reverse entries
for
your DNS.