DNS and Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: DNS and Netview
From: Ken Viola <kviola@cpcug.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:53:13 -0400
Hi All,

Please help us with our DNS issue. We are implementing Netview on AIX (as our
master Netview) with AMLM's running on NT distributed around the country. The
AMLM's will offload polling from the AIX Netview and forward status updates and
traps to the master Netview. The Netview is using /etc/hosts currently as we are
in the process of updating DNS to reflect all of our network devices. Netview
will only be used to manage network devices. It is intended that the Netview
(AIX) server will act as a secondary caching nameserver only and will not be
sourced by any other systems. The issue is whether or not the DNS needs to be
updated with reverse records for each interface on all of our network devices
for Netview to function optimally. If the device is able to handle a loopback
address (ie Cisco routers), our thought is that only the loopback needs to be
addressed for forward and reverse DNS records. If it is not capable, then one
interface will have a forward record with every other interface having a reverse
record pointing to it. Is it necessary to provide reverse records for each
interface if a loopback address can be assigned? We have around 10,000 devices
and it becomes very tedious and time consuming to require reverse records for
each interface. What is the best practice to use for the sake of Netview? Also,
if every interface needs to have a reverse record regardless of loopback, are
there any Perl scripts available to automate the extraction of the interface
information using snmpwalk with IP(as single parameter or via hosts file) and
community strings in conjunction with h2n to generate the DNS files?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ken Viola
kviola@cpcug.org