Re: startup - make Control Desk launch in separate window?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: startup - make Control Desk launch in separate window?
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:15:42 -0400
Here is what I know about this:

The Control Desk is a separate thing from the Events Display. The
Control Desk will not be launched at all if you do not start Events
initially.  You cause that by editing the registration file for the events
display ( /usr/OV/registration/C/ovsnmp/nvevents) and removing the
-Initial flag from the command statement. Then, after the map is up,
you are free to launch the Events Display in a number of ways -
like Montor...Events, or dragging it off the Tool Bar or typing nvevents
at a commandline. If you want it on a Control Desk, you can launch
the Control Desk from the Tool Bar, and then drag the Events Display
onto the Control Desk. If it is not on the Control Desk, you miss out on
some menu functions.

There is another feature in the /usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents file.
That is the ...wsOutside attribute. This allows Events Displays to be
started detached from the map. Changing this to True makes it so
that when you start new events displays, they don't add a new
control desk to the bottom of the opened submap, which you then
have to break off and close when you are through with the display.
I generally make that change. But a side effect is that for all of the
extra displays that you define and save, for loading at map startup,
those displays come up loose and you have to drag them onto the
control desk if that is where you want them.

What I usually want is a detached control desk with the default
events display on it. As far as I know there is no way to configure
it to do that automatically at startup. So I opt for breaking it off.
Getting the middle button working is worth the effort. There are
a lot of things you cannot do in Netview with only two buttons.

I too  have heard rumors of other capabilites.  So I assume
someone will provide instructions if they have it working.  I would
be happy to be wrong about this.

Detroit

                    netview@toddh.

                    net (Todd H.)        To:     IBM NetView Discussion

                    Sent by:              <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    owner-nv-l@tkg       cc:

                    .com                 Subject:     [NV-L] startup -  make

                                          Control Desk launch in separate
window?

                    09/19/01 04:10

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

For NetView for UNIX....

I've heard there's a way for the Control desk to launch in a separate
window rather than as a pane of the Root window.  This is desirable in
our environment where we aren't running large displays with enough
resolution to show such a tall windows.

Furthermore, certain X emulators don't properly emulate the third
mouse button, so it becomes difficult to drag off the control desk
pane via the GUI (I haven't found any menu option to detach that
pane).

I haven't been able to track down which startup files need to be
modified to have Control Panel launch in a separate window, or even if
it's possible.  Any pointers?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/