Re: Data collection/thresholds, ruleset question, trap content

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Data collection/thresholds, ruleset question, trap content
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:17:54 -0400
That's right. Just make sure you match on enough of the
attributes, if you are using the standard treshold/rearm traps.
One of the varbinds is the oid of the mib variable being monitored.
You can of course also define separate pairs of traps
for each attribute that you monitor. You can use the
numbers 1000-1999 in the Netview enterprise.

Detroit

                    netview@toddh.

                    net (Todd H.)        To:     IBM NetView Discussion

                    Sent by:              <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    owner-nv-l@tkg       cc:

                    .com                 Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Data

                                          collection/thresholds, ruleset
question,
                                          trap content

                    09/20/01 01:07

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

"Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com> writes:
> How about this: catch the threshold in a rulelset, and don't send it
> if it rearms within so many minutes?

So let me see if I'm smellin' the stew you're cooking.  :-)  I'm
pretty new to rulesets, so bear with me.  So to have the logic
"forward event if threshold is exceeded for X minutes"....

1) Setup data collection to trigger on the threshold you wish, and
   rearm at a slightly smaller value.

2) In the rulset, use a trap settings to get down to the the Data
   collection threshold, then into a reset on match node?

3) Then, in a separate branch from the event stream, capture the rearm
   event (it does trigger a separate nv6000 trap, right?) with a Trap
   Settings Node, and run it into the other input to the reset on match

4) ..and follow Reset on Match with a Forward node?

PRovided the rearm event throws a netview internal trap, I think I'm
set.  Am I starting to see the light, or need more illumination?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best Regards,
Todd