addtrap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: addtrap
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:52:30 -0400
I learned something about addtrap last week. Although it says that it
will update an existing entry, that does not mean that it will add
components to an existing entry. It means that it will completely
replace an existing entry with what you supply. So if you are trying
to add, say, the T/EC event class and slot mappings programmatically,
you must first extract all existing information for the trap, including the
description, formulate the addtrap command, and spit it back.
This I figured out after inadvertently stripping out the descriptions,
node lists, and exec statements from all of the traps I was trying
to update. Good thing I saved a backup, eh? The chktrapd tool
on the installation media looks like a good model for a script to
extract the full set of information. Unless anyone else has one that
already does that.....