Netview causing CPUHOG messages on low end Cisco routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview causing CPUHOG messages on low end Cisco routers
From: Graeme Nelson <Graeme.Nelson@macquarie.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:44:27 +1000
Hi Netviewers,

The compulsory info:
Netview 6.0.2
Solaris 2.6
Framework  3.6.2

Our network support group have identified Netview as causing a CPUHOG message
on low end Cisco routers. We've had similar problems in the past and have
already:
- Disabled Discovery Polling
- Set Configuration Polling to 6w
- Set Number of Route Entries to 10
- Restricted the SNMP responses from the routers as per Cisco recommendations

An SNMP Debug on the routers shows MIB values being retrieved mostly match
what's in the Administrator's Guide for Node Discovery. However the ones that
seem to cause the CPUHOG are:

 cdpCacheEntry.6 = NULL TYPE/VALUE
 cdpCacheEntry.7 = NULL TYPE/VALUE
 cdpCacheEntry.3 = NULL TYPE/VALUE
 cdpCacheEntry.4 = NULL TYPE/VALUE
Sep 24 17:17:58: %SNMP-3-CPUHOG: Processing GetNext of cdpCacheEntry.4
Sep 24 17:17:58: SNMP: Response, reqid 6070783, errstat 0, erridx 0
 internet.6.3.1.1.6.1.0 = 0
 internet.6.3.1.1.6.1.0 = 0
 internet.6.3.1.1.6.1.0 = 0
 internet.6.3.1.1.6.1.0 = 0

I understand CDP is used to discover HSRP interfaces however this hasn't been
implemented on these routers. CDP is enabled on all routers.

Is there a definitive list of MIB values Netview retrieves for Node Discovery?
Has anyone else still seeing this type of problem after implementing these
restrictions?
Does anyone know what is internet.6.3.1.1.6.1.0 and why is it needed? If my
translation is correct it's
SNMPV2.SNMPModules.SNMPMIB.SNMPObjects.SNMPSet.setserialNo.
Are there any other Netview configurations changes we could do to minimise
Netviews impact on these routers?

Thanks

Graeme Nelson
Macquarie Bank Ltd