RE: ovspmd not registered

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: ovspmd not registered
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:26:57 -0400
Well if you tried "ovstart ovspmd" then you will get the Ovspmd: "Object
manager ovspmd is not registered"  message, since you cannot
start or stop him by himself.  Just plain ovstart gets him going. But if
you got that message, then he is going, because he's the one who put out
that message.  That would indicate to me that someone has messed with the
Netview box hostname or ip address and that a reset_ci is in order. But I
would first start with a  "ps -ef | grep /usr/OV" and see what is or is not
running.   Are there any NetView daemons or not?
Is there an ovspmd?  If not, then he may have cored.  Then go to /usr/OV/conf
and make sure you have an ovsuf file.

You should also review what happened at reboot.
cd to /usr/OV/tmp and review the netnmrc.ovstart file, which is where
startup output, including any errors at boot time, is kept.
The daemons are started by  /etc/init.d/netnmrc which is driven by the
startup of tcp/ip.  Is that running?.  Can you ping other boxes, telnet,
that sort of thing?

What to do?  Hard to say without being there, but you might try
/usr/OV/service/reset_ci  because it sounds to me as though NetView is having a
hard time with his
interprocess communication.  Then I'd try taking down all the daemons and
restarting them, either by issuing  /etc/init.d/netnmrc or sourcing the Tivoli
environment and doing "ovstarts" one at a time,
Start with "ovstart nvsecd" then "ovstart pmd" then "ovstart ovwdb" as
those are the big ones.  You may have trouble bringing the daemons down if
ovspmd has lost communication with them -- in that case they would have to
be killed before you could try anything.

Finally, by all means, call Support.  I am not sure how you got into this
situation, but you may need more personal help getting out.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software
IBM Software Group
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com

Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
10/09/2001 09:48 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion