Re: Good news from the home front!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Good news from the home front!
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:18:38 +0100
Scott,
Glad you enjoyed the NetView Administrators class.  Can you elaborate on
what else you would wanted in the curriculum?  I am the developer of the
NetView for Senior Administrators class and the Tivoli Integrated
Network Management class.  I will append the overview of these classes
for your comment.  Each class is 1 week.

Cheers,
Jane

Week 1 : Tivoli NetView for Unix for Senior Administrators

Objectives

The objectives of the class are to provide a wide perspective
on the more advanced features of Tivoli NetView.  This class
ONLY utilizes NetView and the software that comes with
NetView (Framework & Mid Level Managers) - there
is deliberately no requirement to have any
chargeable add-on programs, though some
freely-available utilities may be discussed.

Topics covered include:

- NetView Database and Process Architecture
- Extending the NetView Object database and reporting on it
- Making the NetView discovery seedfile work for you
- NetView Event Architecture and imaginative event customization
- Using the NetView Correlation Engine and Ruleset Editor
- NetView menu customization - ARFs and WARFs
- All about MIBs - SNMP V2 MIBs, building MIB applications, ...
- Using NetView with a Relational Database
- Deploying NetView Mid Level Manager (MLM)
- Integrating NetView with Tivoli Framework
- Network management in a firewalled environment
- Hints & Tips from the Industry

Participants in the class should already have several months
day-to-day practical experience with NetView as a NetView
administrator as well as shellscripting skills. This
class  introduces  more advanced topics and provides
hands-on practical demonstrations of using these
features in real-world combinations.

Week 2 : Tivoli NetView Integrated Network Management Masterclass

Objectives

The objectives of the class are to provide a wide perspective
on the integration possibilities between Tivoli
NetView and other management applications.

Other products covered include:

- Tivoli Framework
- Tivoli Distributed Monitoring
- Tivoli Enterprise Console (TEC)
- Tivoli Decision Support (TDS)
- Tivoli Integration Pack for NetView (TIPN)
- CiscoWorks 2000
- Tivoli Manager for Network Hardware
- Network management in a firewalled environment
- Comprehensive Network Address Translation (CNAT)

Participants in the class should be able to build
an appreciation of the role of these products
and understand when and how to deploy them.

A large element of this class is hands-on practical experience.

Participants in the class should already have several months
day-to-day practical experience with NetView as a NetView
administrator.  They should also have some knowledge of Tivoli
Framework, Distributed Monitoring, Inventory & TEC,
as well as shellscripting skills. This class provides
hands-on practical demonstrations of using these
products in real-world combinations.

--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565