RE: Good news from the home front!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Good news from the home front!
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:42:21 -0500
In particular there was no content regarding rulesets (in fact the students
were amazed I was using rulesets) There was no coverage of security function
and there was no coverage of the backup function. Also lacking in my
estimation was content that helped administrators deal with multi-protocol
multi-vendor environments. (we know how to load a mib, the question is,
which mibs need to be loaded....which protocols can be monitored... where
can relevant data be found, etc.) I know you can't predict what hardware
folks will have questions on, I still think some work could have been done
that demonstrated where the bumps in the road were (like loading Cisco MIBs,
something most administrators will have to struggle with). We spent half a
day on customizing the GUI - simple stuff that could have been dealt with
more quickly. The materials were often Solaris oriented (my OS) however we
had no Solaris machines. We also had a lab environment that did not include
routers, switches, ATM, Frame Relay, or serial links in general. The issues
you encounter with discovery were not present because the environment was so
limited. We also spent no time discussing problem reporting and gathering
debug information - a skill I really needed when I first started working on
NetView. (use of logs, traces and readcore for instance).