Re: sending trap as TEC event w/o using ruleset--example?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: sending trap as TEC event w/o using ruleset--example?
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 17 Oct 2001 01:05:06 -0500
Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk> writes:
> > I'd like to eliminate some branches from my correlation
> > rulesets--for example, sending a TEC event in response to a simple
> > trap.  Hertofore, I've done this with "trap settings" nodes
> > followed by "Forward" nodes--and the size of the ruleset soon
> > became well, very large for the wide variety of traps we're
> > supporting.
>
> Do you know that you can create rulesets of rulesets?  Rather than having one
> huge ruleset, create ones of manageable size and then create an overall
> ruleset using the File -> Import menus.

Unless I'm missing some hidden functionality--this is what we do today
I think.  We develop a branch/related branches in its own ruleset for
testing, then merge it (File>Import) with our production ruleset to
deploy it.  Unfortunately, this overall ruleset is the one that is
simply huge.  Furthermore it takes forever for it to load an display
for remote X users.  Or is there some modularity that I'm missing?

While running multiple rulesets is technically possible, it seems as
though Tivoli isn't keen on folks doing it, and whatever you do, the
TEC adapter can only activate a single ruleset at a time.

> The TEC-related boxes in the middle of your "Modify Event" customisation
> window specify the mapping of SNMP TRAPs to TEC events - WHAT events are
> forwarded is still controlled by the TEC adapter nvserverd customisation,
> which needs a NetView ruleset (check /usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf for these
> parameters).

Oy.  As I suspected--but thanks for the confirmation!

> > Question 1)  "Forward trap" setting -- what does this do?
>
> This is ONLY for forwarding SNMP TRAPs to another SNMP manager - nothing to
> do with forwarding to TEC.

Also as suspected..but good to know confirmation!  Bummer.

> > Question 2) "Command for Automatic Action" - I'm sure that wpostemsg
> > or postemsg is involved, but I think I just need an example that shows
> > how/what environment variables are required  or implied so the TEC
> > adapter passes a TEC event with the message slots populated as
> > desired.
> >

> You could use (w)postemsg here - you can find the available TRAP parameters
> easily by simply clicking the "Help" button from that "Modify Event" panel -
> they're all documented under the "Event Log Message" entry but they are just
> as valid used by the "Command for Automatic Action" - there's also a little
> example.

This may be the way to go for us.  So if I use this postemsg command
directly in the "Command for Automatic Action,", I'll need to specify
the tec slots and values on that command line, and forgo doing
anything in the TEC slot map GUI it seems--is that right?  Granted
this is not terrible, but none too elegant either.  :-\

> > Action?  Actionsrv?    Or something else?
>
> actionsvr is the daemon that handles actions from rulesets; ovactiond is the
> daemon that handles the "Command for Automatic Action".

Excellent.  Good to know. Thanks for the responses!