Re: how to move netview server to another one

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: how to move netview server to another one
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:44:22 -0500
Qian,

To keep it simple I would do this.  .....if you are sending data to a RIM
database...of course you have more steps.

1. Install NetView at the same level that you are now 6.02 on your new
system.
    -- this will make sure all your prereqs are good, and setup /etc files
and others
    -- after installing stop NetView on the new server

2. Then copy /usr/OV from the old system to the new system.    rcp works
for this.  If you have to tar, then use pax to unpack it.

3.  then run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci
     -- this will tell NetView that you have changed IP address and
hostname

4. Any devices that has the old NetView as the trap destination will need
to be changed to new destination
     -- or after decommisioning the old box, you change this hostname/IP
address to the old one and re-run reset_ci

5. Netview should be running

Thanks,
Stephen Hochstetler            shochste@us.ibm.com
ITSO Tivoli Coordinator - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564       FAX - 512-436-1991

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                    Jin SU

                    Qian/China/Contr       To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    /IBM@IBMCN             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     [NV-L] how to move
netview server to
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.c        another one

                    om

                    10/26/2001 04:22

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi all.
     I have installed and configured a netview server with netview 6.0.2. I
have not use the relational database management systems (RDBMSs)  to store
data. Now I want to  install another netview server with new hostname and
IP address in the same network and give up the old one. My question is how
can I backup all information ( topology, trapd, and snmpCollect) and
restore it on the new server ? That means how can I move netview server to
another one?

Best Regards
Qian Jing
DSM, IBM Global Service
10/F Shui On Plaza, 333 Huai Hai Zhong Road,
Shanghai 200021, P.R.China
Tel: (86)21-63262288x4717
E-Mail: qianj@cn.ibm.com