RE: Digital Unix 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Digital Unix 5.1
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 06:30:03 -0500
Edwin -
I am sorry if the current offering does not meet your requirements.  But I
am not the development manager, nor the marketing manager.  I cannot give
you what I don't have.  I did not architect the current version, and I not
responsible for what Framework does and doesn't do.   You are complaining
to the wrong part of Tivoli if you need Framework support extended.  But
the facts are that you can migrate an existing customer installation to
Tru64 and that was all that was wanted.

In my own view, Tru64 is not a strategic platform for Tivoli, as I see it,
since its owner, Compaq,  has all but abandoned it.  I personally do not
think that  you should be putting NEW customers on NetView and Tru64 since
it is a dead end.  They will be out of support in about a year and they
cannot move forward to 7.1.  But I see your predicament and I am sorry for
your difficulties.  My apologies again for your inconvenience but there is
nothing that I can do about it.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                    "Nijenhuis,

                    Erwin"               To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    <nijenhuis@hit       cc:     "Rauwers, Laurens"
<rauwers@hitt.nl>,
                    t.nl>                 "Holtkuile, Jos" <holtkuile@hitt.nl>,
"Holstein,
                    Sent by:              Bert" <holstein@hitt.nl>, "Hamers,
Wim"
                    owner-nv-l@tkg        <hamers@hitt.nl>

                    .com                 Subject:     RE: [NV-L] Digital Unix
5.1

                    10/30/01 02:43

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

James,

There is only one big constraint:

Tivoli Netview for UNIX V6.0 is installed via the Tivoli Framework. The
only
version of Tivoli Framework that supports Compaq Tru64 Version 5 is Tivoli
Framework 3.6.1, and it does not support it as a TMR server. Given these
contraints, the following configuration is required to install Tivoli
Netview for Unix V6.0 on Tru64 Version 5.

1. A platform other than Compaq Tru64 is set up as a TMR server, running
Tivoli Framework 3.6.1.
2. The Tru64 Version 5 machine is set up as a Tivoli Framework 3.6.1
managed
node from the TMR server.
3. The TMR server is then used to install Tivoli Netview for UNIX V6.0 and
its subsidiary components on the Tru64 managed node.

Taking these constraints into account you need an other system running a
different version of Compaq Tru64 unix for example True64 Unix 4.0f, to
install Tivoli Netview for UNIX V6.0 and that it not what we want. Our
systems will be delivered to our customers and in case of emergency they
have to reinstall the software easily onto their system to have a minimal
downtime.

Is their another way to install the Tivoli Netview for UNIX V6.0 onto a
dedicated Tru64 Unix version 5 system without using Framework and a
different machine running a different OS version. As it is done in Netview
V7.1

Hope this story helps also other users struggling with this problem.

Kind regards,

Erwin Nijenhuis
(Software Engineer/Consultant)

HITT Holland Institute of Traffic TechnologyB.V.
Oude Apeldoornseweg 41-45
7333 NR Apeldoorn
tel : +31-55-5432532
e-mail : nijenhuis@hitt.nl