Re: Nameserver

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nameserver
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:43:25 -0500
NetView will use whatever name resolution system you have set up in your
environment.  It uses the OS functions, gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr,
and lets your operating system retrieve the name.  If your topology
database and netmon trace show the correct name, then you don't have a
name resolution problem.  But if your topology database doesn't match your
map then you have an ipmap problem.  He's the guy who should update the
map when he sees the trap that says the Node is down.  The only thing you
can do to force a re-evaluation by him in 5.1 is to stop the GUI and
restart it.  In 6.0 and 7.1 you can force the update traps to be resent
using an option on  nmdemandpoll from the command line.  You could just
try nmdemandpoll on your node now of course, whether from the command line
or from the GUI, and see if that helps, but I doubt it, if topology has
already been changed.

Despite the fact that 5.1.3 on Digital Unix has not got a lot of life
left, it is still in support at this time and you should feel free to call
Support and open a problem about this behavior.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Robin James <robin.james@thalesatm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
11/01/2001 10:03 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion