Re: Nameserver

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nameserver
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:12:50 -0500
This emphasizes a point I believe I mentioned recently, and that is:
Netview does not change the name of a node if you LOSE name
resolution. It also does not change the value of the 'isSNMPSupported'
field if you lose SNMP access.  These are two external factors
that it pays to keep an eye on. Because of this, I like to keep a
utility script handy and check from time to time. A script that does
an snmpget of sysName against the Selection Name will tell you
both things at once.  This is especially helpful when you are first
setting up Netview and it is uncovering all sorts of little anomalies
in your network. If you have such a report, you can just hand it to
the responsible parties. And you can use it to verify the progress
of your cleanup.

Detroit

                    Robin James

                    <robin.james@thal       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    esatm.com>              cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Nameserver

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.co

                    11/01/01 11:38 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Many thanks Leslie.

Your comment sparked an idea because the node was discovered when DNS
was running. When we cleared the databases and started Netview again the
node was discovered without DNS and the colour changed correctly when
the node was halted and booted.

--
Robin
email: robin.james@thalesatm.com

Leslie Clark wrote:

> It is supposed to turn red on the map. You might check to see if you are
> getting any ipmap errors in the nettl log or in $HOME/nv6000.log. The
> ipmap application is one that is automatically restarted if it fails, but
> it
> is not supposed to fail. Sounds like a support issue to me. (If you did
> not have a DNS running on the Netview system when you discovered
> the node, you would not need one now.)
>
> Cordially,
>
> Leslie A. Clark
> IBM Global Services - Systems Mgmt & Networking
> Detroit
>

>                     Robin James
>                     <robin.james@thal       To:     NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
>                     esatm.com>              cc:
>                     Sent by:                Subject:     [NV-L]
Nameserver