Re: Nameserver

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nameserver
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:43:35 -0500
It is supposed to turn red on the map. You might check to see if you are
getting any ipmap errors in the nettl log or in $HOME/nv6000.log. The
ipmap application is one that is automatically restarted if it fails, but
it
is not supposed to fail. Sounds like a support issue to me. (If you did
not have a DNS running on the Netview system when you discovered
the node, you would not need one now.)

Detroit

                    Robin James

                    <robin.james@thal       To:     NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    esatm.com>              cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     [NV-L] Nameserver

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.co

                    11/01/01 10:03 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

We halted a node and its symbol stayed green on the IP Internet submap
instead of turning red.

The Topology Database (ovtopodump) showed the correct state, that is the
node was down.

The trapd log showed no Node Down/Marginal events.

Tracing the netmon process (/usr/OV/bin/netmon -M 63) showed that netmon
correctly detected when the node was halted. However the submap was
never updated.

In the Netview Diagnosis Guide it describes the role of the domain
nameserver (DNS) in map synchronisation. As it happens the DNS process
was not running on our Netview computer. Is this the reason why the
symbol did not turn red?

Does Netview require DNS to be available or will it be able to work with
some other means of mapping the IP address, for example /etc/hosts ?

FYI we're using a dead-end Netview setup - NV 5.1.3 on TRU64 UNIX 5.0F
:-)

TIA
--
Robin