Re: Rules stop functioning

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Rules stop functioning
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:44:19 -0600
Scott,

Sorry to confuse you.    I was wondering which you were doing,  "in-line
action" or just "action".    Since you are just doing "action", you should
NOT be having the problem that you see.   The actionsvr forks the process
and rules continue.      If you see actionsvr stop, then possibly it is
having troubles forking a process.

Ideas
   -- when you see this happen, are you low in space in /tmp or /usr/OV ?
If you run out of space in "/"   or "/tmp"  or "/usr/OV"    it is probably
related to your problem.

  -- if your machine is creating zombies, it is probably related to your
problem.

If neither of these are true, you probably have an issue which is best
handled by calling support.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                    "Scott Bursik"

                    <tivoliesm@hot       To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    mail.com>            cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Rules stop
functioning
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    11/07/2001

                    10:13 AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Stephen

I am not sure what you are asking. My rule end in a action block. The rule
is written "look for trap xxxxx -->  Check Smartset X for node --> Action
(run script with no return code)

Are you stating that i should be using the inline action?

Thanks