Re: Different symbol for the same type of interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Different symbol for the same type of interface
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:18:11 -0500
Well, changing the oid_to_sym file is a standard, recognized way of
getting NetView to use a different symbol than his default for a
particular OID.  So there is nothing wrong in changing it, though you will
have to delete the owning host from all maps and re-discover it to make
the change, since it is only used when the device is first drawn.

But I don't understand your statement that "NetView has assigned different
interface symbol on different routers for
the same type of interfaces".  If these are truly the same interface type,
then how is changing the oid_to_sym going to help?  If these are truly the
same, then they should return the same OID when queried.  If they don't,
then they are not really the same or else the software in your router is
broken and is it returning the wrong the OID.  Which is it?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

anand anupam <ananda@bharatpetroleum.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
11/19/2001 08:04 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion

The interface symbol on different routers are not uniform. I mean, NetView
has assigned different interface symbol on different routers for the same
type of interfaces .........
My worry is why NetView does not have uniformity for this and what is  a
way out?
I am planning to make it uniform through /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym . Is it
OK?
Thanks in advance.
Regds..............Anupam

[...]

The interface symbol on different routers are not uniform. I mean, NetView has assigned different interface symbol on different routers for the same type of interfaces .........