vpn virtual addresses

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: vpn virtual addresses
From: "Kenney, John" <jkenney@jhancock.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:11:14 -0500
We have a Cisco VPN3030 concentrator installed on our network.  When someone
establishes a session he/she is assigned an address in a pool from n.n.n.11
to n.n.n.254.  We have put a negative entry in our seedfile to prevent
discovery of these 'virtual' addresses (i.e. !nnn.nnn.nnn.11-254), however
Netview occasionally discovers one of these addresses (despite the seedfile
entry) and adds it as an interface on the VPN.  When the person logs off, a
IFDOWN alert is generated.  The IF remains red on the map until it is
demandpolled, at which time Netview deletes the entry and issues a NODEUP.

Any ideas?  Why isn't the negative seedfile entry working in this case?

Thanks,
jtk

Jack Kenney, MCP+I, MCSE
Consultant