Re: vpn virtual addresses

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: vpn virtual addresses
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:01:41 -0500
The seedfile entries are to prevent the discovery of nodes. You
cannot prevent the discovery of interfaces on a node if any interface
on that node qualifies it for discovery. Netview is intent on giving you
a complete picture of any device it is allowed to discover.

What you can do with these types of devices is tell Netview to
treat them as non-snmp. This is done in /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type
with the I (capital i) flag. At configuration poll time, netmon will not
go looking for more addresses on the device.

Detroit

                    "Kenney, John"

                    <jkenney@jhanc       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    ock.com>             cc:     "Lemire, Mark"
<mlemire@jhancock.com>
                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] vpn virtual
addresses
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    11/20/01 09:11

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

We have a Cisco VPN3030 concentrator installed on our network.  When
someone
establishes a session he/she is assigned an address in a pool from n.n.n.11
to n.n.n.254.  We have put a negative entry in our seedfile to prevent
discovery of these 'virtual' addresses (i.e. !nnn.nnn.nnn.11-254), however
Netview occasionally discovers one of these addresses (despite the seedfile
entry) and adds it as an interface on the VPN.  When the person logs off, a
IFDOWN alert is generated.  The IF remains red on the map until it is
demandpolled, at which time Netview deletes the entry and issues a NODEUP.

Any ideas?  Why isn't the negative seedfile entry working in this case?

Thanks,
jtk

Jack Kenney, MCP+I, MCSE
Consultant