RE: external traps not received - NV for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: external traps not received - NV for NT
From: William.Stringfellow@bankofamerica.com
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:50:52 -0800

Kevin,
     I can't speak to your non-cisco devices, but in the cisco switches, you
need to have some config lines that look like the following:

snmp-server community "READONLY Community String" ro
snmp-server community "READWRITE Community String" rw
snmp-server host "TRAP RECEIVER IP ADDRESS" "TRAPRECIEVER COMMUNITY STRING"
snmp-server host "ANOTHER TRAP RECEIVER IP ADDRESS" "ANOTHER TRAPRECEIVER
COMMUNITY STRING"

The snmp-server community lines define what community string is required for
a management system to poll the device, the snmp-server host  lines tell the
switch where to send it's traps, if the lines don't exist, the switch
doesn't send traps.

          Good Luck,
          Bill

>Date:     Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:10:27 -0500
>From:     Kevin Smith <c-kevin.smith1@wcom.com>
>Subject: RE: external traps not received - NV for NT

>Yes,
>    I have an MLM (AIX 4.3) that forwards traps to Two (AIX 4.3)RS6000 IBM
F50