Re: NV 6.0.2 with Framework to NV 7.1 without Framework

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV 6.0.2 with Framework to NV 7.1 without Framework
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:36:36 -0600
James,

Will this eliminate future problems with changing the IP address/name of the
Netview Server. With the current Framework/Netview setup, it was not
recommended to change the address/name of the server, since Framework did not
like it. So if I am planning to upgrade to 7.1 without Framework, once I am
ready to move it to production, I want to change the iP address/name will there
be any problems since Framework was initally installed?

Thanks
Catalina
AIX 433 Netview 602 Framework 371

>>> jshanks@us.ibm.com 12/13/01 10:47AM >>>

I think you may misunderstand how migration works on UNIX.

To migrate to 7.1, even with the Framework, you would
        (1) take a backup of all the user date using the backup function from
"Maintain" on serversetup
                This creates a directory structure of user data in
/usr/OV.back.v6r1
        (2) then you de-install NetView  from serversetup
        (2) then you install 7.1 using the upgrade function specifically

                This finds that directory structure and merges in the data in
it.
                You can remove that directory structure as soon as you are
comfortable.

If you are using the Framework for this, then you install using the Tivoli
desktop.  If you aren't using the Framework, even if it is installed, you mount
the 7.1 CD and from that directory you issue "instalnv -k  [SERVER|CLIENT |
BOOKS] -u  as appropriate.  But you still follow the same basic procedure as
above.

The "frameworkless" install will work just fine with the Framework still
installed, but you will not be able to upgrade the FW later and connect it to
the installed NetView.  They will remain entirely separate.  To connect them
again, you would have to backup and de-install that 7.1 and then reinstall it
again using the FW.
Nothing would be lost however because you would have created another backup
directory structure first.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Michel.Grossenbacher@coop.ch
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
12/13/2001 11:28 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion