RE: Changing Object Status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Changing Object Status
From: "Paul Sandler" <paul@swebs.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:27:08 -0800
Thanks Bernard,
My situation is almost the exact reverse.  I have many users watching
NetView/390 graphics to monitor SNA and IP.  NV/390 gets all its IP
information from NV/AIX.  So, we see PUs, LUs, NCP, mainframe
subsystems and applications, and IP on Windows graphics connected to
the IBM Mainframe.  In order to monitor tasks running in another
mainframe (Unisys), we only have SNMP capability.  I need to use the
Unisys traps, or polling of MIB variables, to get an "alert" to
NV/390.  I may try to set the trap destination on the Unisys to NV390
and do the work there.  Right now, I've decided it may be easier to add
an icon to the Unisys on NV/AIX, poll or wait for traps, but then I
must alter the actual status in the db on NV/AIX so the Service Point
can create an alert to NV390, which is where all our graphics are.
58916871 seems to only change the color on the NV/AIX graphics.  I
don't think that is going to be sufficient.  If it creates a log event,
which it seems like it will, that might drive an alert to NV390 for
me.  So far, I have not been successful at changing the color on the
icon on NV/AIX.  I get the event to occur, but the "shadowed"
application icon never changes from blue to any color, even though the
event shows the verbage in the snmptrap command...and I don't see an
NPDA event in NV390.
I'm sure this can be done, I'm just not having much success yet.

Thanks for sharing the way you do it.  As I said, I may make NV390 the
trap receiver and then your plan might do the trick.

If you could, I would like to have a copy of your script.

Thanks again,   Paul