Re: [nv-l] Re: NON_WELL_BEHAVED

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Re: NON_WELL_BEHAVED
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:11:23 -0500
Another FAQ. It is my belief that this statement is still in there so
that new customers will call Support and get acquainted. In all my
years of implementing Netview, I have NEVER needed to know
whether a daemon was well-behaved or not. Just an opinion...:)

Detroit

                    James

                    Shanks/Raleigh       To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                    /IBM@IBMUS           cc:

                                         Subject:     [nv-l] Re:
NON_WELL_BEHAVED
                    01/23/02 12:45

                    PM

Relax.  There is nothing wrong with these daemons or your system.  You are
making an unwarranted assumption.
The condition  OVs_NON_WELL_BEHAVED is not an error, but one which
describes how the daemon is coded and how it should interact with ovspmd,
the daemon which starts and stops all the others and responds to the
ovstart/ovstop/ovstatus commands.

If you will note the LRF files in /usr/OV/lrf, you will see that each
daemon's behavior is coded there.  When a daemon is registered with the
ovaddobj command, the contents of this file are used to build the
/usr/OV/conf/ovsuf file which ovspmd reads in order to start and stop the
daemons.  For a complete explanation of what  OVs_NON_WELL_BEHAVED and
OVs_WELL_BEHAVED means,  use the man page for the lrf files.  Just type
"man lrf".   This information is also found in the on-line books, in the
Administrator's Reference, under "lrf(4)".

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

   Abadir Hany-O10544
   <hany.abadir@motorola.com>                    To:        James
                                         Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
                                                 cc:
   01/23/2002 10:13 AM                           Subject:
                                         NON_WELL_BEHAVED

Hi:
We Run NetView 6.0 on AIX box.
when I run the ovstatus command I get the following 2 NON_WELL_BEHAVED
daemons:

object manager name: trapgend

behavior: OVs_NON_WELL_BEHAVED

state: RUNNING