[nv-l] re: [NV-L] Cisco 350 Wireless Access Points MIBs - display

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] re: [NV-L] Cisco 350 Wireless Access Points MIBs - display
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:07:50 -0500
Scott, your variation on this topic certainly qualifies as a frequently
asked question. Loaded MIBs have nothing to do with how nodes
are displayed, they only provide translation for the MIB Browser,
data collection configuration, etc. Anyplace a dotted decimal oid
shows up, basically, it will translate it to dotted ascii. And we
can learn about trap definitions from MIB files.

To affect the symbol used, and the vendor and agent assigned for
a node of a particular oid, you need to update a couple of files.
In the V6, See: Inst&Config Chap 7, Mapping Symbols to Nodes.
See also:
Header of /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type
Header of /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym
Note that vendors and agents must be exactly as
the appear in /usr/OV/fields/C/ovw_fields and
/usr/OV/fields/C/snmp_fields. It is best to select
them from the list, using the gui (it is under
Config in the smitty menu). If you change those
files, you need to do 'ovw -fields'. If you want the
agent and vendor fields updated on the Object info
for the node, you must delete and rediscover the node.

The router designation happens automatically based on number
of interfaces and the value of ipforwarding. Or by a G in oid_to_type.

On Unix I usually make a Smartset for things that
are snmp supported but for which the vendor is unset.
Then I go through that process until they all disappear.
Then I give myself a gold star.

Detroit

                    "Scott Bursik"

                    <tivoliesm@hot       To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                    mail.com>            cc:

                                         Subject:     [nv-l] RE: [NV-L] Cisco
350
                    01/23/02 12:30        Wireless Access Points MIBs

                    PM

How were your devices displayed when you have the MIBs loaded? I have
loaded the 802.11b MIBs as well as the Aironet MIBs and the 2 Aironet 350's
I have show up as nodes. I was expecting them to appear as routers, but the
field ID isRouter is set to FALSE.

Vendor and SNMPAgent are also "Unset"

Scott Bursik
Pepsico Business Solutions Group
scott.bursik@pbsg.com
>From: "Owens, Blaine C - Eastman"
>To: "'IBM NetView Discussion'"
>Subject: RE: [NV-L] Cisco 350 Wireless Access Points MIBs
>Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:02:30 -0500
>
>I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to shed much light on this one. As Don
>Davis has stated Cisco was not much help on this one (in fact, no help),
but
>in my case it has been some time ago so things may have changed by now. I
>found out by searching the net that these were the two mibs I needed so I
>then proceeded to try anonymous ftp searches - I don't remember now
whether
>I found the mibs on the Cisco anonymous ftp site or the Aironet anonymous
>ftp site. But I can assure you that I did not edit either of these mibs
>whatsover. I simply loaded the mibs "as is" and defined the traps.
>
>I feel kind of bad about posting what may be bad information and apologize
>if I have caused any confusion for anyone (including myself - I don't feel
>too great about what I have loaded and defined now myself).
>
>I would suggest looking for a standard 802.11 mib plus a standard Aironet
>mib, which I intend to do myself next year. Happy New Year all!
>
>Blaine

Aironet

>web site to get the mibs. This took you to a page telling you that Aironet
>had been bought by Cisco and a link to the page to get the mibs. Clicking
>on
>this link took you (guess where) - right back to the Cisco page you
started

>from. I wound up getting them via ftp. I can send the mibs to you if you
>want.
>
>Blaine Owens

James