Re: [nv-l] Unmanage via Ruleset?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Unmanage via Ruleset?
From: awatthey@mmm.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:06:07 +0100
James,

Could you enlighten me a little more as this interests me.  Netview 7.1 on
W2K SP2 (although I don't think this matters here).

We have Netview set up to discover the local subnet only.  When it does
this it finds routers that it sets to unmanaged.  According to me this is
the IP Status field (field ID 74) in the database which has nothing to do
with which map the device is displayed on.  If I select the router on the
GUI and manage it, this database field goes to 'normal' or 'unknown' or
'marginal'.  If I unmanage it again it goes back to 'unmanaged'.

If this managed status is per map, where is it stored?  Admittedly, I don't
have multiple maps yet as I am still trying to get to grips with the basic
stuff so perhaps I haven't discovered something yet that I need to.

Alan.

                    "James Shanks"

                    <jshanks@us.ibm      To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                    .com>                cc:     (bcc: Alan
Watthey/UK-Europe/3M/US)
                                         Subject:     Re: [nv-l] Unmanage via
Ruleset?
                    28/01/2002

                    21:20

But there is not.  This usually gets asked as "How can I do this from the
command line?"  In the current design, you cannot.
Managed/Unmanaged is relative to a map, not to an object.  You can have
multiple maps and the object can be managed on some and unmanaged on
others.  So the only  way you can manage or unmanage an object is to have
the map open read-write.  Which means you have to do it from the GUI.

Of course, if you always want to have your HP printers discovered
unmanaged, and they all have SNMP turned on, and they all have a unique
OID, then you could modify the /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type file to make that
happen.  Read the comments and create an entry like this
<HP PRINTER OID>:  :  :U
But this only works with ones you have not yet discovered of course, and
they must have SNMP active at the time of discovery.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Scott Bursik" <tivoliesm@hotmail.com>
01/28/2002 10:01 AM