Re: [nv-l] Unmanage in NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Unmanage in NT
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:24:47 -0500

My apologies, Alan,

I just realized that you said you were on NT.
That's a rather different ball game than the UNIX product which is what I was talking about in my responses.
I should have made that clear.   My apologies

You will see different behavior on NT.  The NT version of NetView was derived from the UNIX one, and not all of the function and features of UNIX were ported.  You can have different maps on NT, but  manage/unmanage is a global condition.   And the object database no longer reflects how many maps you have.  The OVW Maps Exist count does not change.  But if you unmanage/manage an object, the OVW Maps Managed count does decrement/increment.  I don't know why these things are different in NT(as I said, I don't work in that area) and I can see that in NT, it would appear that manage/unmanage is applies to objects, and not to maps, so I understand why you would be puzzled,  but I am still not aware of any method to set that condition from the command line or from a ruleset.   If you have something you would like to try, I am sure that others on the list would be interested in your results.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

01/29/2002 07:11 AM