Re: [nv-l] netview for nt, v5.1 ???

Subject: Re: [nv-l] netview for nt, v5.1 ???
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:54:17 -0500

This is NOT a good idea.

NetView  for NT 5.1 was never certified for W2K.  I doubt that it will install at all.   Even if it does, the "patches" for it are in the form of completely new maintenance releases.  You would have to obtain and install the last level, 5.1.3  and you cannot do that any more because it is out  of support world-wide.

Why not just give them a trial on 7.1?  Just offer to install it, and give them some time to evaluate it before they buy.
That's the only safe course.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org>

02/07/2002 10:14 AM
Please respond to mds

        Subject:        [nv-l] netview for nt, v5.1 ???

We have a customer that owns netview for nt, v5.1, which has never been
installed.

They want us to setup and demonstrate this older version prior to
committing to purchasing a current version.

Will this version run on w2k?  Where are patches available for this
version?

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .