Re: [nv-l] CiscoWorks Integration

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] CiscoWorks Integration
From: "Oliver Bruchhaeuser" <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:48:03 +0100
Brian,

first try to find out if the field isCisco is already "imported" by
NetView:
ovobjprint -f | grep isCisco
If it is not yet in the database, execute:
/usr/OV/bin/ovw_fields
and rediscover your Cisco nodes.

The way NetView sets this field:
During discovery the OID of the device is read with SNMP.
NetView lookup /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym for this OID in order to assign
the symbol.
In the correspondening symbol file (found under /usr/OV/symbols/C/)
there is a definition for the capability: "isCisco = 1"

Kind regards

Oliver Bruchhaeuser
Tivoli NetView EMEA L2 Support

IBM Deutschland GmbH - ITS Tivoli - Dept. 7977 - Hechtsheimer Str. 2 -
55131 Mainz - Germany
Phone: +49-6131-84-5108 - Fax: +49-6131-84-6585 - email:
bruchhae@de.ibm.com

Need help with Tivoli Software Products?
Ask Tivoli!
http://www.tivoli.com/asktivoli (login with your customer account)

                    "Brian Green"

\(E-mail\)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                    gi.ca>               cc:

                                         Subject:     [nv-l] CiscoWorks
Integration
                    08.02.2002

                    13:49

                    Please respond

                    to brian.green

Hi  All,

I have a problem  with the Netview - CiscoWorks integration, and I am
wondering if anyone else has  seen this.  I have NetView 7.1 installed, and
I loaded the CiscoView  integration and the Netview71ServerAdapter.jar
through the nmic.sh script.   When a new Cisco device is detected, the
variable isCisco is not being set to  true in the NetView database.

Does anyone know  whose responsibility it is to set this variable - NetView
or CiscoView?  I  am being told by support here in Canada that the variable
is set by CiscoView,  but does that mean I have to re-run the integration
pack every time a new Cisco  device is found?  I thought that the whole
purpose of loading the pack is  to enable NetView to recognize Cisco
elements automatically.

Thanks for any  help,

Brian

Brian W. Green