Re: [nv-l] What happened to the attachment format for the nv-l-digest.

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] What happened to the attachment format for the nv-l-digest.
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 14 Feb 2002 20:03:26 -0600
"Milburn, Shane B" <shane.b.milburn@intel.com> writes:
> For the past couple of weeks when the nv-l-digest shows up in my
> Inbox it had all of the individual posts as attachment emails. I
> could then just open the posts I wanted to read and ignore the
> rest. As of this week when the digest shows up it is just
> plaintext. Now I have to scroll through pages of hypertext and
> plaintext just to get to the few posts I want to read.
>
> What gives? Can we setup an option so folks who want plaintext get
> plaintext and folks who want attachments get attachments?

Most other mailing lists I'm on have a simple "no HTML or rich text or
attachements" policy.  Plaintext is the best common denominator, it's
bandwidth efficient, and makes digests so much easier to, well,
digest.

Unfortunately, some of our most helpful posters are apparently Notes
users which defaults to bloated mixed part html and plain text.
In Notes, those users can access
        File>Preferences>UserPrefs
        Mail&News
        Internet mail format:  set to either "prompt when sending" or
        "plain text"

Outlook Express users also seem to be affected. To have Outlook turn
off the HTML for sending news postings.  Go to Tools>Options
        Click on the "send" tab
                Select "Plain Text" for "Mail Sending Format"
                Click Settings for Plain Text
            Choose either uuencode or "MIME Encode text using NONE"
                        Automatically wrap text at:   75
                        Check "Indent original text with >"

Best Regards,
--