Re: [nv-l] SNMPv3

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMPv3
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 14 Feb 2002 20:09:33 -0600
Eric Pobst <epobst00@yahoo.com> writes:
> Sorry for the dreaded re-occuring SNMPv3 question...
>
> Does anyone know if NetView 7.1 supports SNMPv3?

To the best of my knowledge, NT 7.1 does not speak in v3 PDU's or
understand them generally. That however won't necessarily prevent you
from using NetView to manage such a device.

> The customer site I am at plans on upgrading to this latest version
> on their cisco devices.  I have read over the 7.1 documentation and
> can find no references to SNMPv3.

Devices whose SNMP agents support SNMPv3 most often are backward
compatible and will respond to requests made in snmpv1 format.  This
makes them manageable with NetView.  You do unfortunately miss out on
the security niceties v3 brings...which is one reason Tivoli should be
keeping an eye on this.

NetView will accept traps in v1 or v2 PDU formats. I believe all
polling is done with SNMPv1 PDU's.   Note that MLM's in my experience
will only receive v1 traps.    I'm not sure if this changed in 7.1
though.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/