Re: [nv-l] Support for IBM 8271 switch

To: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Support for IBM 8271 switch
From: Jim Kellock <jkellock@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:53:38 -0500
Cc: netview <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Two points:
1. The IBM Nways management product was withdrawn along with the
hardware it managed, and all support has ended.

2. The 3COM branded switches OEM'd by IBM as 8271's (not the older
Kalpana OEM 8271) were never manageable by Nways, because the IBM code
replaced the 3COM OID with an IBM OID, so neither SNMP mgmt product
recognized the other vendor's product.  Attempts were made to
cross-manage, but the MIBs differed, even without the enterprise being
different, so it never really worked.  Older products re-labelled as IBM
boxes used the original OIDs, so there were cases where this worked, but
not with the 8271/3COM boxes.

MIB trap files, though, should be around if you want to load them.  Try
ftp.3com.com/pub/mibs/open-view/.