Re: [nv-l] After 6.03 patch install

To: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] After 6.03 patch install
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 04 Mar 2002 17:31:14 -0600
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
"James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com> writes:

> What you are seeing is now entirely normal and is a result of changes that
> were made for the security APAR IY21527.
>
> The recommended method to disable it all is to create a file called
> /usr/OV/bin/netnmrc.pre  and in it put the line:
>         export AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters=disable
>  Then either reboot or ovstop all the daemons (ovstop nvsecd) and restart
> them using /etc/netnmrc (AIX) or /etc/init.d/netnmrc (Solaris).
> This is all documented in the e-fix for the APAR.  and was carries over
> into the  7.1 Release Notes, but was left off of the 6.0.3 Release
> Notes.

Has anyone encountered performance problems related to this?

W're running 6.0.3 under aix 4.3.0 and have noted some machines nearly
grinding to a halt in terms of trap processing after the 6.0.2 (w/o
security patch) -> 6.0.3.  What is noted is a tremendous lag from when
AIX receives it and logs it via /var/adm/smv2/log/smtrap.log when it
appears in /usr/OV/log/trapd.log or the nvevents window.  Rebooting or
recyling nvcorrd seems to help a good deal, but it eventually degrades
again.

We've seen alerts get delayed several hours headed to TEC.  I'm just
curious if anyone else has noticed this.  Things seem to be okay with
AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters unset, but if we set it to pass 8-10
characters through, it seems to bog down.

I've opened a PMR on it, and we continue trying to reproduce it to
pinpoint the problem.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/