Re: [nv-l] cant collect snmp on certain devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] cant collect snmp on certain devices
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 13 May 2002 18:02:31 -0500
> netview 7.1.1 / aix 4.3.3
>
> I am having a problem collecting snmp information on 2 (out of 45) routers
> and one ibm switch. Netview discovers them fine , snmp is running , i can
> snmp walk them , browse mib etc , however when i try to graph data or look
> in the snmpCollect log i see netmon message
>
> "Tue May 07 00:55:20 2002 : SNMP send to Apex-1.cis.7206.apx returned:
>         An error occurred in building out bound data.
>         Deferring SNMP of all collections on Apex-1.cis.7206.apx
>         60 minutes (1.00 hours).  Send event (via
>         snmpCollect -C <node>) to retry sooner. "
>
> when the next hour passes and it tries again , it fails
>
> any ideas folks ?

I was fighting this myself just now with a Cisco router that has one
up interface and everything else down.

I had already disabled RFI in server-setup.  Under Adminster>SErver
Setup>configure > setoptions for daemons> topology> netmon

Now, it could be coincidence, but it seems that when I also selected
the option to "treat ambiguous non responding router interfaces" from
its default as "unreachable" and set it instead to "down," my polling
graphs and collection started working moments thereafter.

It's goofy..but I wonder if that was the causal link?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/