Re: [nv-l] packet errors -- how do you monitor?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] packet errors -- how do you monitor?
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 19:06:23 -0400
I never do the math anywhere. I let Netview do it for me.

There is no coercion involved. These variables (the ones you need for
monitoring
the error and discard rates) are all properly defined as counters in the
mib files, so
Netview, seeing that they are counters, does the math for you. The  purpose
of the
mib.coerce file is to correct some wierd cisco mib variables that are
defined in the
mib as integer but actually behave as counters. Note that the entries in
there are all
from Cisco's local mib. This lets Netview counter-handling work with those
variables
even though they are defined in the mib as integers.  And you are right,
you could not
properly use one of those loc* mib variables, coerced, in a mib expression.
But real
counters are no problem.

Try it. And compare the results to what you get when you do the math
manually.
Graph what is collected. You will see that it goes up and down, not just up
and up.

Detroit

                      netview@toddh.net

                      (Todd H.)                To:       Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      05/13/2002 02:55         Subject:  Re: [nv-l] packet
errors -- how do you monitor?
                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

"Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com> writes:
> Netview knows all about counters and handles them very well. It does the
> subtraction between time intervals and divides by the seconds, as
described
> in mib.coerce. The header in mib.coerce describes what must be done
> with counters; its purpose is to let you convert things that behave as
> counters
> into actual counters so they can be handled that way by Netview. For
things
> that already are counters, netview does it for you. I don't understand
what
> you are worried about.

I'm under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that you can either do
math in mibExpr.conf OR do the delta rate of change interval stuff
courtesy of mib.coerce, but I haven't seen any indication that you can
do math on coerced variables.

Can anyone confirm or deny?  What is the order in which polled mib
variables get processed?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/