[nv-l] packet errors -- how do you monitor?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] packet errors -- how do you monitor?
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 10 May 2002 17:27:12 -0500
Howdy,

I've got a best practices/survey question for the masses.   How are
you monitoring interface error rates?

Given my (possibly incorrect) assumptions:
        o all the MIB2 variables you need are are COUNTER's (absolute from
          when box booted): ifInErrors ifOutErrors ifInUcastPkts
          ifInNUcastPkts ifOutUcastPkts ifOutNUcastPkts

        o you need to make a calculation of the current datapoint
          subtracted from the last polled sample for 6 different
          variables

        o and NetView can't combine the functionality of mib.coerce
          and mibExpr.conf....

..I don't see how you can do it with NetView.

The equation I think needs to be solved is:

  "%errors_over_past_polling_period= delta total error / delta total  traffic"

or specifically,

 ((ifInErrors(t2)+ifOutErrors(t2)) -
 (ifInErrors(t1)+ifOutErrors(t1)))
 /  divided by the quantity
 (
 (ifInUcastPkts(t2)+ifInNUcastPkts(t2)+ifOutUcastPkts(t2)+ifOutNUcastPkts(t2)) -
 (ifInUcastPkts(t1)+ifInNUcastPkts(t1)+ifOutUcastPkts(t1)+ifOutNUcastPkts(t1))
 )

Can anyone elighten, debunk, confirm or provide another way to monitor
a percentage of packet errors in NetView?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/