Re: [nv-l] trapgend

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapgend
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 09:23:52 -0400
In the future, I recommend that your SA's allow rexec for the 20 minutes
that is needed for the install, and then turn it off again.  We are not
asking for some permanent security breach, just an opening to install.  It
is no different than allowing you to telnet into the box an be root long
enough to set this up manually.

As you have determined, trapgend is not designed to be installed manually.
 We don't document what all the rexec does under the covers,  but there is
more to it than just ftp'ing the binaries, setting permissions, and
editing snmpd.conf.  The error notify business requires that you register
with AIX to be notified when the alert=True messages are sent to the
errlog.  I suspect that is the part that is missing.   I am going to
assume that you looked at another remote trapgend install and decided what
you had to do from that.  If so, then, you probably created a /usr/OV/bin.
 Well, ftp from the server to that remote /usr/OV/bin and
put /usr/OV/bin/trap-notify
put /usr/OV/bin/trap-notify.add

Then make them executable (chmod 644).

Finally  execute as root

 odmadd usr/OV/bin/trap-notify.add

If all that goes well, then try your errloger OPMSG test and see what
happens.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Eric Pobst" <epobst98@hotmail.com>
05/13/2002 04:08 PM