[nv-l] Netview Justification

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Netview Justification
From: Herman.E.Caballero@Lowes.Com
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 14:34:53 -0400
Leslie,

you mentioned that Netview has the capability of opening a ticket as soon as
a second poll is missed.  Can you explain what function of Netview does this
and how this works?  Are you referring to a second application, like Remedy?

__________________

Maybe your outfit is not making the best use of it. I've seen a number of
implementations over the years that just sat there gathering dust until
someone came in to do an upgrade, and dolled it up a bit.  My favorite
thing is to find out what network problems have occurred in the recent
past, things that people got into trouble for, for instance, and then
figure
out how to get Netview to monitor for  the next occurrance. That is an
ongoing process.

I can tell you about one place in particular where the network staff
thought they were noticing all outages on a timely basis until Netview
started opening tickets automatically. It turned out that it usually took
the people 20 to 30 minutes to notice a WAN outage, and then they
would let it soak for a half hour before calling the service provider,
to 'make sure it was really down'. Netview opens a ticket as soon as
the second poll is missed, and it has not been wrong yet. Downtime
is reduced when work on problems begins sooner.

So it is possible that your particular Netview is not providing all of
the value that it can. Or maybe it is, but as the others have suggested,
it just needs to be pointed out.

Detroit
Leslie,

                      Herman.E.Caballer

                      o@Lowes.Com              To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                               cc:

                      04/29/2002 10:04         Subject:  [nv-l] Netview
Justification
                      AM

Can I get an answer from Netview/Tivoli users:

"What value does the Netview Product provide your company?"

They want to do away with it here, "besides a map and a bunch of events
spitting out, what else does it do for you?"  They say!

Thank you,

Herman Caballero

Meant to send this to the list...

[...]

*NOTE*