RE: [nv-l] TRAPD.LOG - archival

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] TRAPD.LOG - archival
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:08:53 -0400
I think the problem you will run into is Netview continues to write to the
same log file.  My recommendation would be to determine you 'archival'
needs:  hourly, daily, weekly; traps 1, 2, 3, 6, 899, etc; etc.  Then write
a simple script to extract your needed information, compress and viola.
Have that script run by crontab so you have a date/time reference.

Now, if you dont need to archive at all by date, just copy off a version of
the file at a specified time frame.

If you are worried about a simple syslog file, this is how my Admin group
handles it:
rm -f /tmp/syslog.out
touch /tmp/syslog.out
refresh -s syslogd

I hope I at least answered you question by saying I am unaware of any
Netview specific mechanisims.

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated