Re: [nv-l] TRAPD.LOG - archival

To: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] TRAPD.LOG - archival
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 18 Jul 2002 13:40:45 -0500
Cc: "nv-l" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
"Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com> writes:

> I am looking for the best way to maintain my trapd.log - I see there
> is an option for a "maintenance" script server setup. I want to keep
> several iterations of the log so history is available further back
> then whats in the current trapd.log. Any recommendations? The
> problem is Cisco (yah, go figure) sending in "Syslog" traps for
> EVERYTHING (content switches, firewalls, routers etc.) - I have no
> easy way to keep them out of the log (I can't filter syslog traps I
> need some of them but not all of them in the log)

The Cisco devices are configurable and can be told not to send those
syslog informs.   You friendly with your network folk?   That's the
best way to address the issue, but not always possible due to
political reasons.
        set snmp trap disable syslog
        no snmp-server enable traps syslog

or the like.

Another way to is filter them out--which an MLM running
the same server as your main NetView can evidently do.

Failing that, a logfile rotation script can be written that
        cp /usr/OV/log/trapd.log  /blah/foo/date/blah.log
        cp /dev/null  /usr/OV/log/trapd.log

This empties trapd.log while preserving its file handle for anything
that has it open.  It would be safest to perform this operation with
trapd down, though I imagine.

YMMV.  Be sure to test before implementing.  Do not operate heavy
machinery under the influence of such a script.

Best Regards,

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/