Re: [nv-l] Interface status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Interface status
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:27:03 -0400
See the man page for the quicktest command. It has an option to
generate the event even if there is no change instatus. Your script
could 'schedule' a couple of those.

Or if you are using a Problem Nodes smartset, you could run a
check against that at the end of the maintenance period to see
if alarms have been sent for all of the things in it. If you are not
using a Problem Nodes Smartset, you could use nvUtil to
generate a list of all nodes down at this particular time, and
do a quicktest on them, causing events.

Lots of ways to handle this. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

Detroit

                      bducharme@avdl.co

                      m                        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                                               cc:

                      07/26/2002 10:31         Subject:  [nv-l] Interface
status
                      AM

Hi,

Netview 6.0.2on AIX 4.3.3

Here is the problem:
We don't have TEC, so all our SNMP Trap reception on Netview start a Perl
script.
In our script we have a redirection to a maintenance log file.
So if the server have a reboot scedule we put that schedule in the
maintenance file.
When the server interface goes Red ( Down) it start our script that verify
the maintenance file.
Because the server is in maintenance, no alarm goes to a pager.
BUT if the server has a problem and don't go up again,  nobody will be
alerted of it.

What i want to do:
I want to do a repetition of the "down event" of an interface status.
So if an interface goes down, I would like to repeat the down status a
second, third, etc. time after a delay period.
That way the server will go out of his maintenance period, and if there is
a problem with that server (server is still down) the script will page
someone.

Anyone with ideas ?

Thanks

Ben