[nv-l] CDP and Discovery

To: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] CDP and Discovery
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:04:49 -0500
Hello Everyone.

NetView 7.1.1 or 7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3 ML10

I have noticed a problem with discovery on two NetView servers. NetView
fails to add Cisco switches, for example 2924 or 2950, to the map. The Cisco
routers on the same network are on the map, are managed and are demand
polled every 24 hours. If I telnet to the router(s) and enter the command,
"show cdp neighbor", the switches are listed by their configured hostname
which may or may not be the DNS name. The demand poll shows NV is querying
the CDP cache.

netmon options are:
        /usr/OV/bin/netmon -P -S -s/usr/OV/conf/netmon.seed -A -u -l -K0 -q
32 -Q 32

My seed file only contains exclusions, HSRP and SNMP status poll entries. In
other words, I do not have IP network ranges like 10.10.*.* in the seed
file. If I add the switch IP address to the netmon.seed file and run the
netmonaction.sh script, the switches are soon added to the map.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car