Re: [nv-l] CDP and Discovery

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] CDP and Discovery
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 01 Aug 2002 15:39:26 -0500
"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com> writes:
> Todd,
>
> I was told by Support long ago that NV used CDP as well as ARP cache info.
> I sure hope that is true. Although, it would explain this problem if NV
> didn't.

That was my thought too.  Hopefully someone with more authoritative
knowledge of the discovery engine will weigh in on this.

> I don't know the answer to your MIB-II question.
>
> It's too late for the snmpwalk. I suppose you mean NV uses the ARP
> entries in the "at" or arp table.  I'll check the router the next
> time it occurs.

That's my thought.  I've always (for better or worse) viewed things as
"if it ain't in an snmpwalk, netview doesn't know about it"  but I'm
willing to be enlightened if this is a mistaken impression.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/