Re: [nv-l] Does NetView read enumerated variables?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Does NetView read enumerated variables?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:35:01 -0400
You assumptions are getting you down.  Or is it that you are trying to
make NetView work like OpenView?  They are different.
Perhaps it would be better if elaborated more about your problem.  What
solution are you talking about?

To state the basics:  In NetView
trapd reads two files on start-up, one is the SNMP V1 MIB binary file,
/usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.bin, and the other is the trap definition file,
trapd.conf.

So there is no connection to the MIB Browser.  The V1 MIB browser
(xnmbrowser) reads the same file, as well as the text file of the loaded
MIBs, /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.   Get it?  All that trapd and the browser have
in common is that they both load the same file  (they also load different
ones, too) to carry out their specific functions.

Unless the formatting defined for a trap in trapd.conf requires that the
MIB be read in order to provide a label for the OID in the format, there
is no reference made to the MIB binary file at all.  When $* is specified,
all the varbinds given in the trap are displayed in name-type: value
stings (as trapd.conf will tell you).  This means that they will be
displayed in order, numbered, and with as much of the MIB OID decoded as
possible preceding the actual value of that varbind.

I don't know what you mean by "ideal".  If there are a lot of varbinds, as
there are in some agent traps, then yes, you have a very busy and hard to
read event card.  I only recommend $* as a default, until you figure out
what variables you really want to display.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

D T <dtmitre@yahoo.com>
08/08/2002 10:19 AM