Re: [nv-l] NetView Map

To: ozcan@sibnet.com.tr
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView Map
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 13 Aug 2002 09:59:54 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
ozcan@sibnet.com.tr writes:
> Hi,
>
> Is every kind of mapping issue based on IP in Netview 7.12?

Yes.

> I have a layer-2 switch (HP 2424M). I was dreaming that a Netview map shows
> its interfaces, and when I click one of those, another map with nodes
> connected to that interface pops up. But the switch is just shown as an
> ordinary node on the map.
>
> I was expecting Netview to draw the maps based on switch ports, too.

As a layer3 tool, it won't.   It doesn't understand layer2
connectivity by itself.

If you add the new IBM Tivoli Switch Analyzer, though, it becomes a
whole lot more L2 savvy.  I'm not sure specifically what it does on
the map, however as I haven't played with it specifically.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/