RE: [nv-l] incorrect status colors

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] incorrect status colors
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:45:10 -0400
Jason,

James has nit the nail on the head.  Here at ARINC we are running the same
setup you discuss (same OS and Netview version).  We have our own
application that will facilitate status on the Symbol located on the
Topology Map.

Some quick questions:

Does your application change the color of an Symbol on the Map triggered by
an event (trap)?  If so, you are not 'really' changes the status of the
Object (IP Status), just the color of the Symbol.  Then, when you open the
second map, it uses the status of the Object.  Performing a Map Refresh
should sync the maps up, but I believe this will not solve your problem in
the long run, you will still have synchronization issues.  Also, if you are
changing the actual Node or Interface's color, netmon also changes those
Objects through polling them.  If you do not want Netview to poll an object,
you can set the polling interval to '8y' (w/o the quotes), which will tell
Netview to poll the Object every 8 years (max value).  Note that upon
Netview startup, it will poll it once, but then not again for 8 years.

Another thing to look at is how your status is propagated throughout
Netview, Propagate most Critical, Compound Propagated, etc.  If it is not
setup correctly, underlying IP Interface Statuses can facilitate unwanted
color change.

If there is anything I can help with feel free to contact me via email
offline.

Best of luck,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer