[nv-l] Host added with loadhosts command placed in arpanet

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Host added with loadhosts command placed in arpanet
From: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:39:02 +0100
I have NetView 7.1.2 loaded on Solaris 8

Some of our servers do not have snmp enabled (or community name is not
know). They of course have IP so can be pinged.
Netmon has not detected these systems, so I added them to the database
using loadhosts. From ovtpopodump I can see that the nodes have been added,
but cannot find then using the locate menu function. I then ran ovtopofix,
and then I can locate the hosts but they are now in a separated network
called arpanet.

Finally I obtained the community name for one of the hosts and placed it in
the ovsnmp database (with xnmsnmpconf). Now I can run Demand Poll on it...
(this filled in the object subclass showing it as a server) so NetView
should also know its correct subnet mask - and hence what network it should
be in, but it is still in the arpanet network.

What is the solution to this problem. How do I get it in the correct
subnet. Is this the correct way to do this sort of thing.
Is there a way of getting loadhosts to read from an input file as I have a
lot of nodes to add (if this is indeed the way to do it)

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.