Re: [nv-l] Host added with loadhosts command placed in arpanet

Subject: Re: [nv-l] Host added with loadhosts command placed in arpanet
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:48:24 +0100
Hi John,
See my inserts..

john.j.mackney@accenture.com wrote:

> I have NetView 7.1.2 loaded on Solaris 8
>
> Some of our servers do not have snmp enabled (or community name is not
> know). They of course have IP so can be pinged.
> Netmon has not detected these systems, so I added them to the database
> using loadhosts. From ovtpopodump I can see that the nodes have been added,
> but cannot find then using the locate menu function. I then ran ovtopofix,
> and then I can locate the hosts but they are now in a separated network
> called arpanet.

The network called "arpanet" will be the Class A, network 10 - if you check
your /etc/networks you should find this entry.  This begs the question, should
your nodes REALLY be on the Class A, Net 10???  If so, is there a route from
your NetView system to net 10?

If you can ping these nodes, you really shouldn't need to use loadhosts,
neither should you need SNMP on the boxes.  What did you do with regard to
DNS??  Discovery issues like this usually come back to either duplicate IP
addresses in the network or broken DNS.  Use the "netmon -a 12" command and
look at /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace to see if your nodes are on netmon's ping
queue.

> Finally I obtained the community name for one of the hosts and placed it in
> the ovsnmp database (with xnmsnmpconf). Now I can run Demand Poll on it...
> (this filled in the object subclass showing it as a server) so NetView
> should also know its correct subnet mask - and hence what network it should
> be in, but it is still in the arpanet network.

I still think these nodes are saying they are in the class A, Net 10.  This
node with SNMP on it, check the subnetmask that it is using.  Devices without
SNMP usually get the subnetmask correct via ICMP but not always, in my
experience.

> What is the solution to this problem. How do I get it in the correct
> subnet. Is this the correct way to do this sort of thing.
> Is there a way of getting loadhosts to read from an input file as I have a
> lot of nodes to add (if this is indeed the way to do it)

Cheers,
Jane
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights